A man says he was sexually abused and raped by Boys’ Club of New York staffers more than 40 years ago, according to a Manhattan lawsuit filed Friday.
Beginning in approximately 1976, the plaintiff, who isn’t named in the Manhattan Supreme Court suit, says he was preyed on as a child by three employees — “Papi,” William Miltie and “Mack.”
The suit alleges that Papi violated the Arizona man when he was 11 years old on half a dozen occasions at the nonprofit organization’s Lower East Side location at 80 Pitt St. and at a summer camp the group operated.
The Boys’ Club’s administrators should have foreseen Papi’s misconduct — as he was known to “wrestle with the male children and grab them inappropriately,” the filing charges.
The next year, Miltie repeatedly raped the victim when he was 12 at the club’s 287 E. 10th St. location in the East Village and on summer camp trips, according to the suit.
The abuse occurred after another young boy reported that he had been sexually assaulted and abused by Miltie but no action was taken, the papers allege.
A Boys’ Club counselor known as Mack also allegedly violated the victim at the East Village location and at Miltie’s house in 1977, court papers charge.
The suit seeks unspecified damages for breach of duty and negligence. A similar abuse claim was filed in 2020 against the organization, which has been in operation for 144 years.
The lawsuit is one of more than 4,400 that have been filed as a result of the state’s Child Victims Act, which gives accusers a two-year window to bring old claims of abuse, according to a report from the Albany Times Union.
The legislation suspended the civil statute of limitations, which had given victims just three years to bring sexual abuse claims after turning 18.
The Boys’ Club didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.