PORT ST. LUCIE — Francisco Lindor acknowledged Tuesday that contract extension talks with the Mets have begun, but provided no indication a resolution was imminent.
“They started, but nothing serious,” Lindor said. “We are just talking, and we’ll see how everything goes.”
Though team president Sandy Alderson has suggested if a deal isn’t struck before Lindor’s imposed deadline of Opening Day an extension still might be possible, the superstar reiterated he won’t negotiate with the club once the season begins.
The 28-year-old Lindor, who arrived from the Indians with Carlos Carrasco in a trade over the winter, could be in line for a long-term deal worth north of $300 million. The Mets traded Amed Rosario, Andres Gimenez, Josh Wolf and Isaiah Greene in the deal for the two players.
“Like I said earlier, I will not be negotiating during the season,” Lindor said. “I will go to free agency. If something carries on during the season, it’s not fair for me and it’s not fair for the team. I have got to give everything I have got into winning baseball games. If it doesn’t happen in spring training, I will go to free agency and we will talk in November or December, whenever free agency starts.”
Asked for a clarification of “nothing serious” regarding the extension talks, Lindor wasn’t about to provide specifics.
“We are just talking,” Lindor said. “I would love to give you a lot of details, but that is not the person I am. You are going to get the good old media answer, which is we are just talking, so that’s it, brother.”
Lindor, who hit his first homer of the exhibition season Tuesday, said he’s happy with the Mets and has grown comfortable with his new teammates.
“I like the guys here, I like the coaching staff, athletic trainers, we are all on the same path,” he said. “We are all trying to win, all trying to get better, so I am liking the organization, I am feeling more comfortable. This is a good workplace. I am happy right now, so we’ll see what happens. I am blessed to be surrounded by a great group of guys.”
The Mets are also on the clock with Michael Conforto, who indicated earlier in camp that he wants any contract extension negotiations to conclude before Opening Day. Conforto is represented by Scott Boras, whose clients traditionally head to free agency.
If Lindor becomes a free agent, he could join a crowded shortstop field: Corey Seager, Trevor Story, Carlos Correa and Javy Baez are among the players who can hit free agency after the season.
Lindor, who acknowledged he was “blessed” and “humbled” to be facing a big contract, was asked what he values in a new deal, whether that be dollars, years or the ability to opt out.
“I want my family to be happy,” he said. “I want my family to be in a safe place, and I knew they could be safe in Cleveland and I know they can be safe in New York, so we’ll see what happens.”