The Giants are going to have to get creative heading into free agency. They need to do maneuvering with their current cap situation if they want to free room to be able to sign a few guys on the open market. They are barely under the cap at the current moment, but that can change with a few contract adjustments and potential cap casualties. Who stays? Who goes? Who re-signs? Who do the Giants target in free agency?
Lots of questions and attempts at a lot of answers are provided for your listening pleasure on a special edition of the “Blue Rush” podcast with Paul Schwartz and two-time Super Bowl champion Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes.
Blue Rush Podcast Opening Segment with Lawrence, Paul & Jake:
- TYNES ON THE BIKE: Tynes went to Hawaii for a wedding. Likes to show off the pecs. He has become a huge Peloton guy. He lifts weights too.
- DANIEL JONES: QBs potentially changing teams left and right. Giants are committed to Daniel Jones being their QB for the 2021 season. Should the Giants have made a call to the Texans for Deshaun Watson? 2021 is a huge year for Jones. Needs to have a good season if he is Giants future QB.
- SAQUON BARKLEY: Had to pick up that fifth-year option. Is Saquon going to be Saquon? It’s one of the top worries this season. He needs to come back and be a star again that he was before the injuries.
- 27 COACHES: There are very few teams that have that many coaches. Tynes never had anything close to that many coaches in his time with the Giants. Joe Judge has hired so many guys.
- OFFENSIVE LINE CONCERNS: Filling in Kevin Zeitler’s spot. They saved $12 million by letting him go.
- NEXT SEASON: Can count on Joe Judge’s leadership to bond guys together, even with new faces coming next season to the roster. This is not a playoff team. Keep building the young roster.
- LEONARD WILLIAMS: Can clear cap space by turning his franchise tag into a multi-year deal. Will the Giants re-sign Dalvin Tomlinson? What will Tomlinson cost in free agency? Giants have not paid a ton for a nose tackle.
- CAP SPACE: Giants are in a difficult spot with the cap. Not many guys they are able to re-do contracts. They are not going to be able to get more than maybe one big name. They are not going for it this year.
- PLAYMAKERS: What wide receiver might the Giants add? Through draft? Corey Davis? They won’t overpay for Kenny Golladay.
- EVAN ENGRAM: What do the Giants do with him? Keep him for $6 million? Move him and go after a free agent tight end or one in the draft? Engram is probably the most talented playmaker on the outside for Big Blue. Seems it is a psychological thing with Engram. Needs a little pick me up.
- TOM BRADY’S EXTENSION: Brady gets a contract extension to play through 2022 season. How much longer will he play? Tynes says Brady may take Botox to look younger. What is going on?
Catch up on all episodes of “Blue Rush,” a New York Giants podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Lawrence Tynes, Paul Schwartz and Jake Brown on Twitter @lt4kicks, @NYPost_Schwartz and @JakeBrownRadio.